Processing Tomatoes


Crop Insured

All varieties of processing tomatoes are insurable if:

  • They are acceptable according to, and grown under, a processor contract;
  • They are irrigated; and
  • They are all of your contracted processing tomatoes.
Counties Available
Processing tomatoes are insurable in Colusa, Contra Costa, Fresno, Glenn, Kern, Kings, Madera, Merced, Sacramento, San Benito, San Joaquin, Santa Clara, Solano, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tulare, and Yolo counties. Processing tomatoes in other counties may be insurable by written agreement if specific criteria are met. Contact a crop insurance agent for more details.
Causes of Loss

You are protected against the following:

  • Adverse weather;
  • Earthquake;
  • Failure of irrigation water supply;
  • Fire;
  • Insect damage and/or plant disease, unless you have insufficiently or improperly applied pest or disease control measures;
  • Volcanic eruption; or
  • Wildlife.
Insurance Period

You must apply for coverage with a crop insurance agent before January 31 to insure the tomatoes you plan to plant and harvest that year. Coverage begins when the tomatoes are planted and ends at the earliest occurrence of one of the following:

  • When the contract is fulfilled;
  • Harvesting ends;
  • Acreage is abandoned; or
  • October 20.
Coverage Levels and Premium Subsidies

Individual insurance amounts are based on your approved yield. You will be asked to provide four to 10 years of actual yield history that will be used to calculate your average yield. Coverage levels range from 50 to 75 percent of your approved yield. Crop insurance premiums are subsidized as shown in the following table. For example, if you choose the 65 percent coverage level, your premium share would be 41 percent of the base premium.

Coverage Level
Premium Subsidy
Your Premium Share

Catastrophic Risk Protection (CAT) coverage is fixed at 50 percent of your approved yield and 55 percent of the price election. CAT is 100 percent subsidized with no premium cost to you. There is, however, an administrative fee of $300 per crop per county, regardless of the acreage.

Price Elections

The price used to determine your premium and indemnity.

Conventional…………….……$72.50 per ton
Organic…….………….……..$108.75 per ton

Loss Example

Assume 70 percent coverage, 100 percent price election of $72.50 per ton, an average yield of 40 tons per acre, one basic unit, and 100 percent share.

40 Tons per acre average yield
0.70 Coverage level 
28 Tons per acre guarantee
20 Tons per acre actually produced
8 Tons per acre loss
$15.85 Price Election
$580.00 Gross indemnity per acre



Price used above is for example only. Contact a crop insurance agent for current information.

Where to Buy Crop Insurance
All multi-peril crop insurance, including CAT policies, are available from private insurance agents. A list of crop insurance agents is available at all USDA service centers and on the RMA website at Agent Locator.

  Regional Office Visit

  • Jeffrey Yasui, Director
    430 G Street, Suite 4168
    Davis, CA 95616-4168
  • Phone: 530-792-5870
  • Fax: 530-792-5893
  • Email:
This fact sheet gives only a general overview of the crop insurance program and is not a complete policy. For further information and an evaluation of your risk management needs, contact a crop insurance agent
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign and mail a program discrimination complaint form, (available at any USDA office location or online at, to: United States Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Ave., SW; Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll free at (866) 632- 9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.