Illinois,  Indiana,  Michigan,  Ohio

Crop Insured

You can insure apples if they are:

  • Grown on acreage which produced at least an average of 150 bushels per acre in at least one of the previous four years;
  • Varieties adapted to the area;
  • Grown for fresh or processing apple production; and
  • Grown in an orchard that is considered acceptable.
Counties Available

Illinois - Calhoun, Jackson, Jersey, St. Clair, and Union counties.

Indiana - Clark, Elkhart, Fountain, Hancock, Hendricks, La Porte, Marion, Morgan, and Spencer counties.

Michigan - Allegan, Antrim, Benzie, Berrien, Cass, Clinton, Genesee, Grand Traverse, Ionia, Kalamazoo, Kent, Leelanau, Lenawee, Macomb, Manistee, Mason, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Ottawa, Shiawassee, Van Buren, and Washtenaw counties.

Ohio - Columbiana, Erie, Fairfield, Fulton, Jackson, Licking, Lorain, Lucas, Mahoning, Ottawa, Ross, and Scioto counties.

Causes of Loss

You are protected against the following:

  • Adverse weather;
  • Earthquake;
  • Failure of irrigation water supply;
  • Fire, unless you have not controlled weeds and other undergrowth or if you have not removed pruning debris from the orchard;
  • Insect damage and/or plant disease, unless you have insufficiently or improperly applied pest or disease control measures;
  • Volcanic eruption; or
  • Wildlife.
Insurance Period

For the first crop year, coverage begins the later of:

  • Twenty days after your application is received; or
  • November 21, 2017.

For carryover policies, coverage begins:

  • The day immediately following the end of the insurance period for the prior crop year.

Coverage ends at the earliest of:

  • Total destruction of the crop;
  • Harvest of the crop;
  • Final adjustment of a loss;
  • Abandonment of the crop; or
  • November 5, 2018.
Important Dates
Sales Closing/Cancellation…....November 20, 2017
Acreage Report…………………..January 15, 2018
Production Report………………..January 15, 2018
Reporting Requirements
You must report all of your apple acreage, production and any losses, when evident, to your insurance agent.

Fresh Apple Production - Apples that:

  • Are, or could be, sold for human consumption without being changed by peeling, juicing, crushing, etc.;
  • Are from acreage designated as fresh apples on your acreage report;
  • Follow the cultural practices in use for fresh apples in a manner that agricultural experts recommend for the area; and
  • Are from acreage that you certify and have records to support that at least 50 percent of the production was sold as fresh apples in one of the four most recent crop years.

Processing Apple Production - Apples that:

  • Are, or could be, sold for the purpose of changing the structure by peeling, juicing, crushing, etc.; or
  • Are from acreage designated as processing apples on your acreage report.
Coverage Levels and Premium Subsidies

Crop insurance premiums are subsidized as shown in the following table. For example, if you select the 75 percent coverage level, the premium subsidy is 55 percent and your premium share is 45 percent of the base premium.

Item Percent
Coverage Level
50 55 60 65 70 75
Premium Subsidy
67 64 64 59 59 55
Your Premium Share
33 36 36 41 41 45
You may choose different coverage levels for fresh and processing apple acreage. However, you may only choose one coverage level for all fresh apple acreage and one coverage level for all processing apple acreage.
Price Elections
A price election is the price you are paid per bushel if you have a loss. This is based on the percentage of the established price you chose.
Coverage Options

Optional Coverage for Fresh Fruit Quality Adjustment - Pays you based on a quality adjustment if more than 20 percent of your fresh apple production does not grade U.S. Fancy or better due to a covered cause of loss. This option is not available with the catastrophic risk protection endorsement.

Catastrophic Coverage (CAT) - Pays 50 percent of your average yield and 55 percent of projected price. CAT has no premium but does have a $300 administrative fee per crop per county.

Loss Example
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nunc vel ultrices nisi. Phasellus a ultricies ipsum, et semper erat. Mauris sed efficitur elit. Vivamus lobortis vel ligula ut fermentum. Etiam tincidunt convallis tortor, a pretium ipsum lacinia vel.
Where to Buy Crop Insurance
You can buy a crop insurance policy from approved participating insurance agents. A list of crop insurance agents is available at all USDA service centers and on the RMA website at Agent Locator.

  Regional Office Visit

  • 3500 Wabash Ave.
    Springfield, IL 62711-8287
  • Phone: 217-241-6600
  • Fax: 217-241-6618
  • Email:
This fact sheet gives only a general overview of the crop insurance program and is not a complete policy. For further information and an evaluation of your risk management needs, contact a crop insurance agent
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign and mail a program discrimination complaint form, (available at any USDA office location or online at, to: United States Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Ave., SW; Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll free at (866) 632- 9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.