Prevented planting provisions in insurance policies can provide valuable coverage when extreme weather conditions prevent expected plantings. Producers should make planting decisions based on agronomically sound and well documented crop management practices.
What is Prevented Planting?
Prevented planting is a failure to plant an insured crop with the proper equipment by the final planting date designated in the insurance policy’s Special Provisions or during the late planting period, if applicable. Final planting dates and late planting periods vary by crop and by area.
National Fact Sheet and Frequently Asked Questions
- First and Second Crop Rules (Jul 2021)
- Prevented Planting Insurance Provisions Drought (Jul 2021)
- Prevented Planting Insurance Provisions Flood (Jul 2021)
- FAQ - Prevented Planting Coverage (Jul 2021)
- FAQ - Prevented Planting Program Changes (Nov 2020)
Prevented Planting Request for Information - PUBLIC COMMENT DEADLINE EXTENDED TO OCTOBER 12
RMA has extended the deadline to October 12 for public input about the prevented planting provisions of the Common Crop Insurance Policy (CCIP), Basic Provisions. RMA is interested in public input on the following:
- Additional prevented planting coverage based on harvest prices in situations when harvest prices are higher than established prices initially set prior to planting;
- The requirement that acreage must have been planted to a crop, insured, and harvested, in at least 1 of the 4 most recent crop years;
- Additional levels of prevented planting coverage; prevented planting coverage on contracted crops; and other general prevented planting questions.
We invite stakeholders to respond to this request for information by close of business October 12, 2023.
Prevented Planting Request for Information Stakeholder Listening Sessions
Interested parties were invited to participate in virtual or in-person listening sessions to discuss the Prevented Planting Request for Information above. Listening sessions were scheduled across the country and run from June through August 2023. However, you can still give your feedback before the October 12 deadline.
Evaluation of Prevented Planting Coverage
- Establishment of Prevented Planting Coverage Factors for the Federal Crop Insurance Program (Dec 3, 2018)
- Evaluation of Prevented Planting Coverage - Comment Period Extended
- Evaluation of Prevented Planting Program (Jan 30, 2015)
- Evaluation of Prevented Planting Program Methodology (Jan 30, 2015)
Farmers.gov has additional USDA resources available at farmers.gov/prevented-planting.
Find a crop insurance agent to discuss available options for your farm or ranch.
Crop insurance is sold and delivered solely through private crop insurance agents. A list of crop insurance agents is available at all USDA Service Centers and online at the RMA Agent Locator.
For more information, contact RMA Public Affairs.