Livestock Risk Protection Swine

Livestock Risk Protection

The Livestock Risk Protection Insurance Plan for Swine (LRP-Swine) is designed to insure against declining market prices. Pork producers may choose from a variety of coverage levels and insurance periods that match the time your hogs would normally be marketed.

You may buy LRP-Swine throughout the year from Risk Management Agency (RMA) approved livestock insurance agents. Premium rates, coverage prices, and actual ending values are posted online daily.

You may choose coverage prices ranging from 70 to 100 percent of the expected ending value. At the end of the insurance period, if the actual ending value is below the coverage price, you may receive an indemnity payment for the difference between the coverage price and actual ending value.

Visit RMA’s website to see the LRP-Swine program’s coverage prices, rates, actual ending values, and per hundredweight insurance cost (see useful links below). Actual ending values are calculated from price series data from USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service. Actual ending values are posted on RMA’s website at the end of the insurance period.


You submit a one-time application for LRP-Swine coverage. After the application is accepted, you may buy specific coverage endorsements for up to 70,000 hogs that are expected to reach market weight near the end of the insurance period.

The annual limit for LRP-Swine is 750,000 hogs per producer for each crop year (July 1 to June 30). The length of insurance coverage available for each specific coverage endorsement is 13, 17, 21, 26, 30, 34, 39, 43, 47, or 52 weeks but may be limited based on insured type.

LRP-Swine is available in all counties in all states.

Buying a Policy

You must buy LRP-Swine insurance through a livestock insurance agent. You can fill out an application. However, insurance does not attach until you buy a specific coverage endorsement. You may buy multiple specific coverage endorsements with one application. Insurance coverage starts the day you buy a specific coverage endorsement and RMA approves the purchase.


Where to Buy Crop Insurance
All multi-peril livestock insurance, including Catastrophic Risk Protection policies, are available from private insurance agents. A list of livestock insurance agents is available on the RMA website at:
Useful Links

Daily LRP Coverage Prices, Rates, and Actual Ending Values:

Premium Calculator:

Approved livestock agents and insurance companies:

Related AMS online livestock reports:

  National Office

  • USDA/RMA/Stop 0801/Room 2004-South
    1400 Independence Ave. SW
    Washington, DC 20250
  • Email:

Print to PDF

Print to PDF

Note: PDF version looks different than website but content is exactly the same.

This fact sheet gives only a general overview of the crop insurance program and is not a complete policy. For further information and an evaluation of your risk management needs, contact a crop insurance agent.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign and mail a program discrimination complaint form, (available at any USDA office location or online at, to: United States Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Ave., SW; Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll free at (866) 632- 9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.