Requesting Insurance on Unrated Land in Your County

Filing a Request

A written agreement is required to insure land that is located in an unrated map area. To request a written agreement, complete and submit a Request for Actuarial Change (request type UC) through a crop insurance agent. Submitting a request does not guarantee insurance.

A list of crop insurance agents is available at all United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) service centers and on the Risk Management Agency (RMA) website at Agent Locator.

Counties Available
Insurance coverage on unrated land may be requested in all counties nationwide which contain an unrated map area. However, written agreements are not allowed for catastrophic insurance policies nor for certain crop policies. To see if there are unrated map areas in your county, including maps, visit the RMA Actuarial Information Browser.
Important Dates

If you have a new request for coverage on land located in an unrated map area in your county, you must submit it on or before the acreage reporting date for your crop. If you have a renewal request for coverage on land located in an unrated map area in your county you must submit it on or before the sales closing date for your crop.

For information on acreage reporting dates and sales closing dates, visit the RMA website at Actuarial Information Browser.

Crops Covered
A complete list of crops insured nationwide is available at RMA Crop Policies.
Requirements for Making a Request

A completed written agreement request must contain at least the following supporting documentation:

  • A completed Request for Actuarial Change form;
  • The current year’s completed actual production history (APH) form based on records previously certified to the Approved Insurance Provider (AIP) for the crop and county for which the written agreement is being requested;
  • The legal description of the requested land where available;
  • Farm Service Agency (FSA) farm numbers, tract numbers, and field numbers;
  • FSA aerial photographs or other Global Positioning System maps that are legible and clearly define where you intend to plant or have planted the requested crop;
  • Natural Resource Conservation Service soil maps for the requested land, unless the RMA Regional Office does not require such evidence;
  • For perennial crops only, a Pre-Acceptance Inspection Report and Pre-Acceptance Worksheet; and
  • A copy of the current contract between the wildlife management agency and the producer if the acreage is located in a wildlife protection or management area.

This fact sheet provides only guidance and RMA may request additional information. You can find all written agreement regulations in the Written Agreement Handbook on the RMA website at Handbooks 24000.

Where to Buy Crop Insurance
All multi-peril crop insurance policies are available from private insurance agents. A list of crop insurance agents is available at all USDA service centers and on the RMA website at Agent Locator.

  National Office

  • USDA/RMA/Stop 0801/Room 2004-South
    1400 Independence Ave. SW
    Washington, DC 20250
  • Email:
This fact sheet gives only a general overview of the crop insurance program and is not a complete policy. For further information and an evaluation of your risk management needs, contact a crop insurance agent
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign and mail a program discrimination complaint form, (available at any USDA office location or online at, to: United States Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Ave., SW; Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll free at (866) 632- 9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.