Mississippi River Flooding

The Federal crop insurance program is designed to provide a robust and reliable farm safety net, regardless of the size and scope of natural disasters. USDA’s Risk Management Agency (RMA) works closely with Approved Insurance Providers (AIPs), who sell and service the policies that producers purchase, to ensure efficient loss adjustment and prompt claims payments, even in times of major disasters.

In general:
  • Producers with Federal crop insurance coverage administered by RMA – and the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) – should contact their crop insurance agent to file a Notice of Loss in the event of crop damage. Those who purchased crop insurance will be paid for covered losses.
  • Producers should report crop damage within 72 hours of damage discovery and follow up in writing within 15 days.
  • AIPs, loss adjusters and agents are experienced and well-trained in handling natural disaster events.