Hurricane Insurance Protection - Wind Index (HIP-WI)
Hurricane Insurance Protection – Wind Index (HIP-WI) covers a portion of the deductible of the underlying crop insurance policy when a county, or county adjacent, is within the area of sustained hurricane-force winds. The coverage provided by HIP-WI can be combined with the Supplemental Coverage Option (SCO) and the Stacked Income Protection Plan (STAX) when acreage is also insured by a companion policy.
HIP-WI provides coverage for 70 different crops and is available in counties in the vicinity of the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic, as well as Hawaii. The deadline to purchase HIP-WI coverage for the 2021 crop year and beyond will be the same as for the underlying policy.
An administrative fee and premium for the crop covered by each HIP-WI Endorsement will be due in addition to any administrative fee and/or premium for the underlying policy. However, the HIP-WI administrative fee may be waived if the producer qualifies as a limited resource farmer, a Beginning Farmer Rancher (BFR) or a Veteran Farmer Rancher (VFR).
Sustained hurricane winds are the only cause of loss for HIP-WI and will be determined from NOAA hurricane wind extents data (refer to the Hurricane Data Provisions documents).
- Fact Sheet
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Hurricane Insurance Protection Wind - Index Endorsement 23-HIP-WI
- Hurricane Data Provisions (June 27, 2022)
- Hurricane Insurance Protection Wind - Index Endorsement 22-HIP-WI
- Hurricane Data Provisions (Revised June 30, 2021)
- Hurricane Insurance Protection Wind - Index Endorsement 21-HIP-WI
- Hurricane Data Provisions (August 28, 2020)
- Hurricane Data Provisions (Revised September 30, 2020)