Specialty crops include fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, and horticulture nursery crops.
Expansion of the Whole-Farm Revenue Protection insurance program, the first Federal crop insurance program to be available in every state and county in the U.S., provides the risk management safety net to all commodities on all farms across the U.S., including specialty crops.
If you have feedback on how we can improve coverage for specialty crops, please let us know at SpecialtyCrops@rma.usda.gov.
If you are interested in learning more about insuring your specialty crops, please contact your local RMA specialty crop insurance liaison from the list below.
- Calendar Events
- June 24, 2019 - The RMA Specialty Crops Coordinator and Springfield, Illinois Specialty Crops Liaison will meet with Horseradish growers on June 24 in Collinsville, Illinois to discuss crop insurance needs of horseradish growers.
- August 27–29, 2019 - RMA staff will be meeting with stakeholders in Rochester, NY to research and discuss improvements to crop insurance procedures for specialty crop growers.
- Specialty Crops Liaisons
Regional Office - Liaison
- Billings, MT – Steve Junghans
- Davis, CA – Thalia Barajas
- Jackson, MS – Kanika Davis
- Oklahoma City, OK – Devin Lolles
- Raleigh, NC – William Barnes
- Spokane, WA – Nick Gans
- Springfield, IL – Adrienne McTaggart
- St. Paul, MN – Craig Christianson
- Topeka, KS – Amanda Whitehurst
- Valdosta, VA – Matthew Wilkin
- Expansions of Specialty Crops Programs
RMA continues to communicate with producers and other interested parties to identify where there is a need to expand the availability of risk management products to producers. Expansion of products is generally made to growing areas where RMA is aware the crop exists, there is some history or experience of the crops performance, and there is significant grower interest in the product.
Following are expansions of existing specialty crop programs into new counties for the 2019 reinsurance year.
2019 Reinsurance Year County Expansions for Specialty Crops
Crop States Counties Apples Iowa Greene, Johnson, Tama
Minnesota Fillmore, Houston, Scott, Winona, Wright Wisconsin Green, Jefferson, Racine, Walworth Dry Beans Minnesota
Freeborn, Isanti, Rice, Roseau, Scott, Steele, Waseca
Dry Peas Minnesota Becker, Cass, Clay, Hubbard, Mahnomen, Marshall, Otter Tail, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd, Wadena
South Dakota Aurora, Beadle, Bennett, Brule, Buffalo, Campbell, Charles Mix, Corson, Dewey, Faulk, Haakon, Hand, Harding, Hughes, Hyde, Jackson, Jerauld, Jones, Lyman, Mcpherson, Meade, Oglala Lakota, Pennington, Perkins, Potter, Stanley, Sully, Tripp, Walworth, Ziebach Fresh Market Tomatoes California San Benito, Santa Clara Lemon Trees Florida Collier, Glades, Hardee, Indian River, Polk Lemons Florida Collier, Glades, Hardee, Indian River, Polk, St. Lucie Macadamia Trees Hawaii Hawaii, Honolulu, Kauai, Maui Peaches
Massachusetts Bristol, Essex, Franklin
New Jersey Morris, Warren