Specialty crops include fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, and horticulture nursery crops. Individual crop insurance programs are currently available for the following specialty crops:
Apricots (Fresh, Processing)
Beans (Dry, Fresh Market, Processing)
Citrus (Grapefruit, Oranges)
Citrus Trees (Avocado, Carambola,
Grapefruit, Lime, Mango, Orange)
Fresh Market Tomatoes
Nursery (Field Grown & Container)
Peaches (Cling Processing,
Freestone Fresh, Freestone Processing)
Peas (Dry, Green)
Sweet Corn (Fresh Market)
Tomatoes (Fresh Market)
In addition, Whole-Farm Revenue Protection provides a risk management safety net to all commodities, including specialty crops, under one insurance policy and is the first Federal crop insurance program to be available in every state and county in the United States. It is tailored for any farm with up to $8.5 million in insured revenue and includes farms with specialty or organic commodities (both crops and livestock), or those marketing to local, regional, farm-identity preserved, specialty, or direct markets.
Specialty crops are a priority at RMA, and federal crop insurance coverage for specialty crops has grown steadily over the past 15 years. In 2019, the amount of insurance for specialty crops totaled more than $18 billion.
RMA continues to communicate with producers and other interested parties to identify where there is a need to expand the availability of risk management products to producers. Expansion of products is generally made to growing areas where RMA is aware the crop exists, there is some history or experience of the crops’ performance, and there is significant grower interest in the product. See details on Expansions of Specialty Crops Programs.
- Contact Us
If you have feedback on how we can improve coverage for specialty crops, please let us know at SpecialtyCrops@rma.usda.gov.
If you are interested in learning more about insuring your specialty crops, please contact your local RMA specialty crop insurance liaison from the list below:
Regional Office - Liaison
- Billings, MT – Steve Junghans
- Davis, CA – Thalia Barajas
- Jackson, MS – Derrick Johnson
- Oklahoma City, OK – Devin Lolles
- Raleigh, NC – William Barnes
- Spokane, WA – Nick Gans
- Springfield, IL – Adrienne McTaggart
- St. Paul, MN – Craig Christianson
- Topeka, KS – Amanda Whitehurst
- Valdosta, VA – Matthew Wilkin
- Outreach to Stakeholders Upcoming Events
- March 5-7, 2020 – A Specialist from the Springfield Regional Office will attend the Great Lakes Hop and Barley Conference at Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This conference supports growers and brewers by providing education and networking opportunities for all levels of the craft beverage industry. The Specialist will provide a session on crop insurance for Barley producers as well as have a booth at the exhibit hall to network with producers, other agencies, grower groups and craft beverage industry organizations.